52 results (displaying results 21 - 30) First « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » Last

Attica and Environs in Ancient times.

Attica and Environs. Janssonium, Joannem. "N. Visscher excudit." Attica and Environs. "Attica Megarica,Corinthiaca Bœotia Phocis. Locri. Ex clariss D,T Velij M.D. Delineationes" Amsterdam Janssonium, Joannem. c1652
Copper engraved map of Attica and environs by Janssonius from his "Accuratissma Orbis Antiqui Delineatio Sive Geographia vetus, sacra,& profana." the 6th volume of the "Atlas Novus." Original colour; verso blank.
The map shows Attica and surrounding areas with the isthmus of Corinth and the island of Euboa; it is the cartography of Henricus Hondius [Zacharakis 1709/1121] with Hondius name removed and the cartouche changed to lower left corner, with Janssonius' imprint to upper right.
Decorative title cartouche; sailing ships to sea. Good impression, generally bright; occasional spotting mainly to blank margins; light toning to edges and slight browning to centre fold due to guard on verso; old ink number to upper right corner.
Zacharakis 1706/1120; Koeman II; Ja 2 & Me.164 368 by 498mm (14½ by 19½ inches).    €500
Stock No. 2513 - Greece full description

The Parthenon, Athens.

View of the Temple of Minerva, Athens. Le Roy, Julien David Le Roy Arh.te de.l in Greciâ. Le Bas Sculp. View of the Temple of Minerva, Athens. "Vue de Temple de Minerva à Athenes." Paris chez H.L. Guerin & L.F. Delatour, J.L. Nyon/ Jean Neaulme 1758
Copper engraved view of the gate of the Parthenon, Athens from Le Roy's "Les Ruines des Plus Beaux Monuments de la Grece ." Black and white, verso blank.
The view shows the ruined Parthenon with a small mosque erected by the Turks within. Bright dark impression; small ink spots to blank margins.
Blackmer/ Navari :1009; Atabey 709 ;Cohen de-Ricci 627. 300 by 465mm (11¾ by 18¼ inches).    €1000
Stock No. 2259 - Greece full description

Monument to Philopappus, Athens.

View of the Trimphal  Monument raised to honour Caius, Julius, Antiochus Philopappus  at  Athens. Le Roy, Julien David Le Roy Arh.te de.l in Greciâ. Le Bas Sculp. View of the Trimphal Monument raised to honour Caius, Julius, Antiochus Philopappus at Athens. "Vue d'un Monument triumphal élevé en l'honeur de Caius, julius, Antiochus, Philopappus à Athenes." Paris chez H.L. Guerin & L.F. Delatour, J.L. Nyon/ Jean Neaulme 1758
Copper engraved view of the Monument of Philopappus, Athens from Le Roy's "Les Ruines des Plus Beaux Monuments de la Grece ." Black and white, verso blank.
The view shows the ruined Monument of Philopaapus with varius figures sitting around it and the sea in the background.

The Philopappos Monument is an ancient Greek mausoleum and monument dedicated to Gaius Julius Antiochus Epiphanes Philopappos or Philopappus, ( 65–116 AD), a prince from the Kingdom of Commagene. It is located on Mouseion Hill in Athens, Greece, southwest of the Acropolis.

Philopappos died in 116, and his death caused great grief to his sister Julia Balbilla, citizens of Athens and possibly to the imperial family. As a dedication to honor the memory of Philopappos, Balbilla with the citizens of Athens erected a tomb structure on Mouseion Hill near the Acropolis of Athens. His marble tomb monument is still known as the Philopappos Monument, and the hill is today known as Philopappos Hill
The Greek geographer Pausanias (Description of Greece, I.25.8), describes Philopappos' grand tomb as a monument built for a Syrian man. The monument was built on the same site where Musaios or Musaeus, a 6th-century BC priestly poet and mystical seer, was held to have been buried. The location of this tomb, opposite the Acropolis and within formal boundaries of the city, shows the high position Philopappos had within Athenian society. Bright dark impression; small minor spots to blank margins.
Blackmer/ Navari :1009; Atabey 709 ;Cohen de-Ricci 627. 309 by 463mm (12¼ by 18¼ inches).    €750
Stock No. 2260 - Greece full description

Hadrian's Gate, Athens.

View of the Monument called the arch of Theseus at  Athens. Le Roy, Julien David Le Roy Arh.te de.l in Greciâ. Le Bas Sculp. View of the Monument called the arch of Theseus at Athens. "Vue du Monument appellé vulgairement à Athenes l'Arc de Thesée." Paris chez H.L. Guerin & L.F. Delatour, J.L. Nyon/ Jean Neaulme 1758
Copper engraved view of Hadrian's Gate, Athens from Le Roy's "Les Ruines des Plus Beaux Monuments de la Grece ." Black and white, verso blank.
The view shows the Gate or Arch of Hadrian, with a glimpse of the Temple of Olympian Zeus behind.
Le Roy identifies it as the arch of Theseus, probably due to the inscription on the west sidefacing the Acropolis stating "This is the ancient city of Theseus"
However on the side facing the Olympeon there is another inscription stating "This is the city of Hadrian and not of Theseus". The arch was erected around131/2 AD at the time of the dedication of the Olympeonand Hadrian's visit to the city. Bright dark impression; lightly toned; a couple of spots to blank margins; short tear of 10mm [repaired] to left margin .
Blackmer/ Navari :1009; Atabey 709 ;Cohen de-Ricci 627. 295 by 437mm (11½ by 17¼ inches).    €750
Stock No. 2261 - Greece full description

The Monument to Thrasyllus, Athens.

View of the Monument to Thrasyllus, Athens. Le Roy, Julien David Le Roy Arh.te de.l in Greciâ. Le Bas Sculp. View of the Monument to Thrasyllus, Athens. "Vue d'un Monument éléve en l'honneur de Thrasyllus à Athenes." Paris chez H.L. Guerin & L.F. Delatour, J.L. Nyon/ Jean Neaulme 1758
Copper engraved view of the monument to Thrasyllus, Athens from Le Roy's "Les Ruines des Plus Beaux Monuments de la Grece ." Black and white, verso blank.
The view shows the Monument situated on the south face of the Acropolis, the monument was constructed in 320 B.C. as a façade fronting a shallow cave or grotto halfway up the cliff. (Fig. 1) Thrasyllus was an ancient Greek chorus leader. According to its inscriptions, the monument commemorated the victory of Thrasyllus's chorus during a festival performance. The trophy given in such contests was a bronze tripod. The tripod in this case is believed to have been affixed to the lap of the statue seated on the parapet
During the Hellenistic times suffered many changes and later became a Christian church, the St. Mary of the Cave. It was finally destroyed by the canons of the Turkish general Kütahı pasha during the 1827 siege of the city. Bright dark impression; a few spots to blank margins.
Blackmer/ Navari :1009; Atabey 709;Cohen de-Ricci 627. 303 by 462mm (12 by 18¼ inches).    €300
Stock No. 2265 - Greece full description

Ruins of the Propyllia of the Acropolis, Athens.

View of the ruins of the Propyllia , Gate of the Acropolis, Athens. Le Roy, Julien David Le Roy Arh.te de.l in Greciâ. Le Bas Sculp. View of the ruins of the Propyllia , Gate of the Acropolis, Athens. "Vue des ruines des Propylées, où de la Porte de la Citadelle d' Athenes." Paris chez H.L. Guerin & L.F. Delatour, J.L. Nyon/ Jean Neaulme 1758
Copper engraved view ruins of the Propyllia ,Athens from Le Roy's "Les Ruines des Plus Beaux Monuments de la Grece ." Black and white, verso blank.
The view shows the columns of the Propyllia at the ntrance to the Acropolis. Bright dark impression.
Blackmer/ Navari :1009; Atabey 709;Cohen de-Ricci 627. 305 by 461mm (12 by 18¼ inches).    €500
Stock No. 2266 - Greece full description

The Choragic Monument of Lysicrates, Athens.

View of the Lantern of Demosthenes, Athens. Le Roy, Julien David Le Roy Arh.te de.l in Greciâ. Le Bas Sculp. View of the Lantern of Demosthenes, Athens. "Vue de la Lanterne de Demosthene à Athenes." Paris chez H.L. Guerin & L.F. Delatour, J.L. Nyon/ Jean Neaulme 1758
Copper engraved view the" Lantern of Demosthenes "or Lysicrates Monument, Athens from Le Roy's "Les Ruines des Plus Beaux Monuments de la Grece ." Black and white, verso blank.

The view shows the monument as part of the French Capuchin monastry, with a group of musicians and dancers in the street.

The monastry founded in 1658, succeeded in purchasing the monument,in 1669 when it was being called the "Lantern of Diogenes" after the famous Athenian cynic philosopher of the 4th century BC.
A reading of its inscription by Jacob Spon established its original purpose. and that it was was erected by the choregos Lysicrates, a wealthy patron of musical performances in the Theater of Dionysus, to commemorate the award of first prize in 335/334 BC to one of the performances he had sponsored. [The choregos was the sponsor who paid for and supervised the training of the dramatic dance-chorus.]
It was erected in the Street of the Tripods an ancient road that led from the sanctuary of Dionysos around the east and northeast sides of the Acropolis and the monument is adorned with a frieze depicting episodes of the life of Dionysus, the god whose rites developed into Greek theatre. (In the Middle Ages, the monument also acquired the nickname "Lantern of Demosthenes" from the erroneous belief that the 4h century orator composed his speeches there.)

Lord Byron stayed at the Capuchin monastery during his second visit to Greece. In 1818, friar Francis planted in its gardens the first tomato plants in Greece. In 1821 the convent, which had enclosed the monument, used as a storage for books, was burned during the Ottoman occupation of Athens, and subsequently demolished, and the monument was inadvertently exposed to the weather. In 1829, the monks offered the structure to an Englishman on tour, but it proved to be too cumbersome to disassemble and ship. Lord Elgin negotiated unsuccessfully for the monument, by then an icon in the Greek Revival.

French archaeologists cleared the rubble from the half-buried monument and searched the area for missing architectural parts. In 1876–1887, the architects François Boulanger and E. Loviot supervised a restoration under the auspices of the French government. Bright dark impression; light foxing ,mainly to blank margins.
Blackmer/ Navari :1009; Atabey 709;Cohen de-Ricci 627. 310 by 465mm (12¼ by 18¼ inches).    €850
Stock No. 2267 - Greece full description

The Port of Pireus.

View of the port of Pireus, Athens. Le Roy, Julien David Le Roy Arh.te de.l in Greciâ. Le Bas Sculp. View of the port of Pireus, Athens. "Vue du Port de Piée à Athenes." Paris chez H.L. Guerin & L.F. Delatour, J.L. Nyon/ Jean Neaulme 1758
Copper engraved view the port of Pireus, Athens from Le Roy's "Les Ruines des Plus Beaux Monuments de la Grece ." Black and white, verso blank.

The view shows the natural port of Pireus, with the Acropolis in the far background and the hill of Lycabetus, Bright dark impression; light foxing ,mainly to blank margins.
Blackmer/ Navari :1009; Atabey 709;Cohen de-Ricci 627. 313 by 466mm (12¼ by 18¼ inches).    €650
Stock No. 2268 - Greece full description

Ancient Thoricos, Lavrion Attika

View of various fragments of a Temple situated in a part of Attika called Thoricos Le Roy, Julien David Le Roy Arh.te de.l in Greciâ. Le Bas Sculp. View of various fragments of a Temple situated in a part of Attika called Thoricos "Vue du Port de Piée à Athenes." Paris chez H.L. Guerin & L.F. Delatour, J.L. Nyon/ Jean Neaulme 1758
Copper engraved view of ancient Thoricos, now called Lavrion, Attika from Le Roy's "Les Ruines des Plus Beaux Monuments de la Grece ." Black and white, verso blank.
The view shows the ruins of a Doric temple in the foreground with the harbour in the midground and the island of Makronisi (Macri) behind. ThLe Roy peoples the scene with various figures, some of whom seem to be excavating the ruins and taking measurements whilst others in European dress look on.
Thoricus was an ancient Greek city in southern Attica, where lead and silver was mined. Thoricus was the mining centre of the Laureotica. There is evidence of lead extraction from the 3rd millennium BC and of silver from 1500 BC. large Doric temple (late 5th century BC), may have been a Telesterion for the cult of Demeter and Persephone Good impression; light spotting to blank margins.
Blackmer/ Navari :1009; Atabey 709;Cohen de-Ricci 627. 304 by 467mm (12 by 18½ inches).    €450
Stock No. 2269 - Greece full description

Scarce French map after Ortelius's "Graecia Sophiani".

Greece. Le Roy,H. "H LeRoy Fecit" Greece. "Ελλαs. Graecia Sophiani." "A Paris " "Chez N Langlois rue Saint Jaques àla Victoire" c1640-60
Copper engraved map of Greece after Ortelius by Henri Le Roy. Original outline colour; verso blank.
Decorative title cartouche and scale.
The map by Henri Le Roy seems to have first been published by Michel Van Lochom in 1636 and then by J Boisseau in 1643 in his " Tresor des Cartes Géographiques". Thereafter the plate seems to have passed through a number of hands including that of Pierre Mariette who was stepfather to Nicolas Langlois the present publisher. Dark impression; signs of former framing, leading to toning and tape to edges on verso; dampstain to lower margin; centrefold split, due to removal of guard, repaired to verso.
This edition not in Zacharakis [ Zacharakis; 2019/1344, 2020/1345, 2021/1346 and 451/274 variants] 355 by 488mm (14 by 19¼ inches).    €850
Stock No. 2489 - Greece full description


52 results (displaying results 21 - 30) First « 1 2 3 4 5 6» Last

Company: Bryan, Mary Louise. Address: 6 Alikarnassou Street, 21100 Nafplion, Greece.
Vat No: EL 119092581