72 results (displaying results 41 - 50) First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 » Last

Elis, Eleia,Ancient Olympia Peloponnesus,

Loschge, Leonhard. Elis. "Elis." Nürnberg/ Nuremberg. Loschge Leonhard. 1687
Extremely scarce small copper engraved map of Elis, Peloponnesus, from Loschge's "Neue vermehrte Beschreibungder trflichen Halbinsel Morea mit den Angrezenten Inseln und Provinzen des Coronelli und andern Italianischen Schriften"
Modern hand colour.
The map shows the area of north of Cyprissia and surrounding Ancient Olympia home of the first Olympic games. Good impression; modern hand colour; upper margin short due to binding; old ink numbers to borders.
Zacharakis:2086. 66 by 114mm (2½ by 4½ inches).    €150
Stock No. 2775 - Greece full description

Koroni, Messinia, SW Peloponnesus,

Koroni. Loschge, Leonhard. Koroni. "Coron." Nürnberg/ Nuremberg. Loschge Leonhard. 1687
Extremely scarce small copper engraved view of the castle and town of Koroni, Messinia, Peloponnesus from Loschge's "Neue vermehrte Beschreibungder trflichen Halbinsel Morea mit den Angrezenten Inseln und Provinzen des Coronelli und andern Italianischen Schriften"
Modern hand colour
Koroni is a castle with impressive fortifications at the south western end of Peloponnese which existed since the 7th century AD and was completed and reconstructed by the Venetians in the 13th century. The city flourished in the following centuries, but it was constantly in the middle of the long conflict between Venetians and Turks.As many castles in Peloponnese, the city became important and flourished after the 13th century and the Frankish occupation.

Following the fall of Constantinople to the Fourth Crusade in 1204, a Venetian fleet under Premarini and the son of Dandolo occupied it in 1206, and converted the port into a provisioning station "where all passing ships could receive a month's rations", a custom maintained, we are told, when the place became a regular Venetian colony.
Since 1205 Koroni belonged to the Frankish Principality of Achaea. In 1209, the ruler of Achaea Geoffroi de Villehardouin I had no choice than to cede officially the castle-city to the Venetians.
The Venetians made a major reconstruction and expansion of the castle which finished around the end of that century.
The fortress and town were captured by the Ottoman troops of Sultan Bayezid II, who led personally the operation, in 1500.
In 1532, the Habsburg emperor Charles V ordered the Genoese admiral Andrea Doria to attack Koroni as a diversion to the Turkish campaigns in Hungary. Doria managed to capture the city, and to lay waste to the surrounding coast.
In spring 1533, the Ottoman Emperor Suleiman the Magnificent sent 60 galleys to retake the city. They blockaded the harbour, but they were defeated by Doria, highlighting the weakness of the Ottoman Navy at that time. An Ottoman land army however was successful in laying a siege around the city, forcing its surrender on 1 April 1534. The weakened Spanish garrison was allowed to leave the city unharmed
In 1685 the Venetians under general Morozini returned and stayed until 1715. But the golden age of the city was not revived. Dark impression; modern hand colour; mounted.
Not In Zacharakis but description of maps Nos 2080-2101. 60 by 115mm (2¼ by 4½ inches).    €140
Stock No. 2725 - Greece full description

Messenia, Peloponnesus,

Loschge, Leonhard. Messenia. "Messania." Nürnberg/ Nuremberg. Loschge Leonhard. 1687
Extremely scarce small copper engraved map of Western Messenia, Peloponnesus from Loschge's "Neue vermehrte Beschreibungder trflichen Halbinsel Morea mit den Angrezenten Inseln und Provinzen des Coronelli und andern Italianischen Schriften"
Modern hand colour
The map shows in detail the area of Western Messania; Messini, & Pylos-Nestoras with the small islands offshore to the east with less detail "Arcadiae Pars", modern Messinia to Mount Tayegetus. Good impression; modern hand colour; slight creasing; upper margin short due to binding; old ink numbers to borders; mounted.
Zacharakis:2087/2751 66 by 114mm (2½ by 4½ inches).    €180
Stock No. 2772 - Greece full description

Methoni, Messania, S.W. Peloponnesus,

Methoni. Loschge, Leonhard. Methoni. "Modon" Nürnberg/ Nuremberg. Loschge Leonhard. 1687
Extremely scarce small copper engraved view of the castle and town of Methoni, Messinia, Peloponnesus from Loschge's "Neue vermehrte Beschreibungder trflichen Halbinsel Morea mit den Angrezenten Inseln und Provinzen des Coronelli und andern Italianischen Schriften"
Modern hand colour

Methoni was built by the Venetians after 1209 at a strategic location, on a rock penetrating the sea and is separated from the land by an artificial moat. The Venetians started having their eye on the harbour of Methoni since the 12th century, since 'it was in the middle of the route from Venice to the East'. Moreover, in 1125, they had launched an attack against the pirates who used it as a shelter, because they had captured Venetian traders on their way home from the East The Venetians occupied Methoni.In 1206, and their domination was established in the spring of 1209 with a treaty signed with Villehardouin, who made all the necessary consents that would guarantee him the help of Venice for the final subordination of the Peloponnese. The Venetians fortified Methoni, which developed, as well as Koroni, into an important trade center with great prosperity.
The Ottoman Turks captured the town in 1500 and despite many attempts and seiges it would not fall until the venetians retook it in 1686.
During the whole of the 16th and 17th century, even though the look of Methoni has not changed, the decline in all sectors was obvious. In June 1686 the forces of Morozini had Methoni under siege. The Turks surrendered on the 10th of July. The walls, that suffered substantial damages during the siege were repaired and new inhabitants were sent to reinforce the population of the town. However, this second period of Venetian occupation did not last for long. In 1715 the Turks launched a siege to the castle and the Venetian defenders, deserted it. During this second period of Turkish occupation, the decline was complete. As is apparent from travelers´ descriptions, the population was reduced, the battlements were in bad condition and the harbour became shallow. The most important trade conducted was that of slaves. Dark impression; modern hand colour; mounted.
Not In Zacharakis but description of maps Nos 2080-2101. 57 by 112mm (2¼ by 4½ inches).    €140
Stock No. 2727 - Greece full description

Mystras Laconia, Peloponnesus.

Mystras. Loschge, Leonhard. Mystras. "Mistras" Nürnberg/ Nuremberg. Loschge Leonhard. 1687
Extremely scarce small copper engraved view of Mystras Peloponnesus from Loschge's "Neue vermehrte Beschreibungder trflichen Halbinsel Morea mit den Angrezenten Inseln und Provinzen des Coronelli und andern Italianischen Schriften"
Modern hand colour.
Situated on Mt. Taygetos, near ancient Sparta, Mystras as the capital of the Byzantine Despotate of the Morea in the 14th and 15th centuries, experiencing a period of prosperity and cultural flowering. The site remained inhabited throughout the Ottoman period, when it was mistaken by Western travellers for ancient Sparta. In the 1830s, it was abandoned and the new town of Sparti was built.
Mystras was also the last centre of Byzantine scholarship; the Neoplatonist philosopher George Gemistos Plethon lived there until his death in 1452. He and other scholars based in Mystras influenced the Italian Renaissance, especially after he accompanied the emperor John VIII Palaiologos to Florence in 1439.

The last Byzantine emperor, Constantine XI Palaiologos, was despot at Mystras before he came to the throne. Demetrius Palaeologus the last despot of Morea, surrendered the city to the Ottoman emperor Mehmed II in 1460. As Mezistre, it was the seat of a Turkish sanjak. The Venetians occupied it from 1687 to 1715, but otherwise the Ottomans held it until 1821 and the beginning of the Greek War of Independence. Dark impression; modern hand colour; mounted.
Not In Zacharakis but description of maps Nos 2080-2101. 65 by 115mm (2½ by 4½ inches).    €160
Stock No. 2728 - Greece full description

Navarino, Pylos,Messenia, Peloponnesus,

Loschge, Leonhard. Navarino. "Navarino" Nürnberg/ Nuremberg. Loschge Leonhard. 1687
Extremely scarce small copper engraved map of Navarino and Pylos in Messania Peloponnesus from Loschge's "Neue vermehrte Beschreibungder trflichen Halbinsel Morea mit den Angrezenten Inseln und Provinzen des Coronelli und andern Italianischen Schriften"
Modern hand colour
The map shows the area & position of Navarino, modern Pylos with the castle guarding the bay which a large ship is approaching. The map mentions three names the Franco Italian Porto Zonchio, a Greek one, Avarinos later shortened to Varinos or lengthened to Anavarinos which became Navarino in Italian and Navarin in French and Pila from Pylos its ancient name down to Byzantine times,. Good impression; modern hand colour; slight creasing; upper margin short due to binding; mounted.
Zacharakis:2100. 66 by 114mm (2½ by 4½ inches).    €200
Stock No. 2771 - Greece full description

Sikyon, Peloponnesus.

Sikyon. Loschge, Leonhard. Sikyon. "Sitionia" Nürnberg/ Nuremberg. Loschge Leonhard. 1687
Extremely scarce small copper engraved view of Sikyon, Peloponnesus from Loschge's "Neue vermehrte Beschreibungder trflichen Halbinsel Morea mit den Angrezenten Inseln und Provinzen des Coronelli und andern Italianischen Schriften"
Modern hand colour. Dark impression; modern hand colour; mounted.
Not In Zacharakis but description of maps Nos 2080-2101. 65 by 114mm (2½ by 4½ inches).    €160
Stock No. 2730 - Greece full description

The Straits of Lepanto, North Peloponnesus.

Loschge, Leonhard. Straits of Lepanto "Dardenelli di Lepanto" Nürnberg/ Nuremberg. Loschge Leonhard. 1687
Extremely scarce small copper engraved map of the straits of Lepanto, Peloponnesus, from Loschge's "Neue vermehrte Beschreibungder trflichen Halbinsel Morea mit den Angrezenten Inseln und Provinzen des Coronelli und andern Italianischen Schriften"
Modern hand colour.
The map shows the straits of Lepanto at the entrance of the Korinthian Gulf , with the 2 castles that protect it. Small ships to sea. Good impression; modern hand colour.
Zacharakis:2099. 66 by 114mm (2½ by 4½ inches).    €150
Stock No. 2779 - Greece full description

Zarnata Castle, Messinia, Mani. Peloponnesus.

Zarnata. Loschge.Leonhard. Zarnata. "Zarnatar" Nürnberg/ Nuremberg Loschge Leonhard. 1687
Extremely scarce small copper engraved view of the castle of Zarnata, Messinia, Mani Peloponnesus from Loschge's "Neue vermehrte Beschreibungder trflichen Halbinsel Morea mit den Angrezenten Inseln und Provinzen des Coronelli und andern Italianischen Schriften"
Modern hand colour
One of the 4 major castles of Mani. It is a castle of the Late-Byzantine which was destroyed by the Ottomans who rebuilt it in the 17th century.
In the late Byzantine era there is mention of Zarnata being passed from the Despot Theodoros Palaeologos to the eventual last Emperor of Constantinople, Constantine. The walls show a steady development from ancient times and it is thought by some to have Frankish remains but τηερε ισ no reference to the fortress in Frankish sources - though it seems unlikely that any occupying power would leave such a dominating position vacant. Dark impression; modern hand colour; mounted.
Not In Zacharakis but description of maps Nos 2080-2101. 65 by 115mm (2½ by 4½ inches).    €120
Stock No. 2723 - Greece full description

Peleponnesus and Southern Greece.

Grece Particuliere. Mallet, Allain Manesson. "Grece Particuliere". Paris Thierry. Denys. 1683
Copper engraved map of Southern Greece, focusing on the Peleponnesus, from Mallet's "Description de l'Univers" 1st edition. Text to verso.
. Dark impression; inner left margin 5mm
Zacharakis 2139/1403 157 by 118mm (6¼ by 4¾ inches).    €70
Stock No. 1259 - Greece full description


72 results (displaying results 41 - 50) First « 3 4 5 6 7 8» Last

Company: Bryan, Mary Louise. Address: 6 Alikarnassou Street, 21100 Nafplion, Greece.
Vat No: EL 119092581