back to search results place the mouse over an image to zoom

The Island of Martinique.

Visscher, Nicolaes. The Island of Martinique. "Insula Matanino Vulgo Martinico in lucem edita per Nicolaum Visscher" Amsterdam Visscher, Nicolaes , 1657
Copper engraved map ofthe island of Martinique by Nicolaes Visscher. Black & white; verso blank.
The large mapshows the island of Martinique, during the conquest of the island by the French. North on the compass rose errs by 45° East. In 1635 the Compagnie des Îles de l'Amérique sent nearly a hundred settlers from St Kitts to Martinique, where they built Fort St Pierre. On the map the island is divided in two with Demeure de Francois to the north and west, and Demeure de Sauvages (the indigenous Caribs) over the rest of the island. The map does not mention Fort St Louis, a second fort built by the French in 1638. The Caribs were exterminated or exiled by 1660.
On 15 September 1635, Pierre Belain d'Esnambuc, French governor of the island of St. Kitts, landed in the harbour of St. Pierre with 150 French settlers after being driven off St. Kitts by the English. D'Esnambuc claimed Martinique for the French King Louis XIII and the French Compagnie des Îles de l'Amérique, establishing the first European settlement at Fort Saint-Pierre (now St. Pierre).
In 1636, the indigenous Caribs rose against the settlers to drive them off the island in the first of many skirmishes. The French successfully repelled the natives and forced them to retreat to the eastern part of the island, on the Caravelle Peninsula in the region then known as the Capesterre. When the Carib revolted against French rule in 1658, the Governor Charles Houel de Petit-Pré retaliated with war against them. Many were killed; those who survived were taken captive and expelled from the island. Some Carib had fled to Dominica or St. Vincent, where the French agreed to leave them at peace.
Decorative title cartouche to lower left. Good impression; light even toning; short tesr to right margin entering image [approx.40mm]with old repair to verso and similar tear to left margin; short split at lower centre fold [repaired];short tear to upper blank margin. repaired to verso; light creases.

Nicolaes Visscher, 1618-1679
Nicolaes Visscher took over the business of his late father Claes Janszoon Visscher in 1652, and went on to publish his "Atlas Contractus Orbis Terrarum " in 1657. He produced a number of world maps not just for the Atlas but also to be inserted in Bibles.


The Visscher family were prominent Dutch map publishers for nearly a century.
Claes Jansz Visscher ( 1587 - 1652 ) established the firm in Amsterdam near the offices of Pieter van den Keer and Jadocus Hondius. Many hypothesize that he may have been one of Hondius's pupils
The first Visscher maps appear around 1620 and include numerous individual maps as well as an atlas compiled of maps by various cartographers including Visscher himself.
Upon the death of Claes, the firmpassed to Nicholas Visscher I, and would, in turn, eventually be passed on to his son, Nicholas Visscher II.
Most of the maps bearing the Visscher imprint were produced by these two men.
Many Visscher maps also bear the imprint Piscator (a Latinized version of Visscher) and often feature the image of an elderly fisherman.
Upon the death of Nicholas Visscher II, the business was carried on by the widowed Elizabeth Visscher until it was eventually sold to Peter Schenk.
463 by 570mm (18¼ by 22½ inches).   ref: 2560  €400

Company: Bryan, Mary Louise. Address: 6 Alikarnassou Street, 21100 Nafplion, Greece.
Vat No: EL 119092581