back to search results place the mouse over an image to zoom

Andravida, Ellis, N.W Peloponnesus.

Loschge, Leonhard. Andravida. "Antrivida." Nürnberg/ Nuremberg. Loschge Leonhard. 1687
Extremely scarce small copper engraved view of Andravida in Ellis, North West Peloponnesus from Loschge's "Neue vermehrte Beschreibungder trflichen Halbinsel Morea mit den Angrezenten Inseln und Provinzen des Coronelli und andern Italianischen Schriften"
Modern hand colour.
Andravida's early history is obscure: the name is of unknown provenance—several proposals have been made, the most probable of which is that it derives from a Slavic name for "place of the otters"—and the site is not mentioned before the conquest by the Crusaders in 1205, even though it certainly existed before that. According to the Chronicle of the Morea, Andravida, like most of the towns and regions of the northern and western Peloponnese, was captured without a fight in 1205 by the Crusader leader William of Champlitte, and it was there that the local Greek magnates and lords of Elis and of the mountains of Skorta and Mesarea paid him homage and recognized him as their lord.
Soon after the Frankish conquest, Andravida (known as Andreville in French, Andrevilla in Aragonese and Andravilla in Italian) became the residence of the princes of the newly established Principality of Achaea. As the medievalist Antoine Bon points out, Andravida's choice as the de facto capital of the principality rested on its favourable location: situated in the midst of the fertile plain of Elis, it was well provisioned and could sustain horses, it was located near the major port town of Glarentza, but not on the coast and hence not vulnerable to seaborne raids, and was equally far from the mountains of the central Peloponnese with their rebellious inhabitants. Consequently, despite its importance, it was never fortified. The town also became the seat of a Roman Catholic bishopric, attested since 1212, which assimilated the pre-existing Greek bishopric of Olena and retained the latter's name. Dark impression; modern hand colour; mounted.

Leonhard Loschge; active 1675-1700 [ died 1714]

Was a German bookseller and publisher in Nuremberg. He published his "Neue vermehrte Beschreibungder trflichen Halbinsel Morea mit den Angrezenten Inseln und Provinzen des Coronelli und andern Italianischen Schriften"in 1687with numerous miniature views and maps after Coronelli ; the views are original and not just reduced versions of the Coronelli; some are copies of those that appear in Jacob von Sandrart's " Kurtze Beschreibung von Venedig auch der Grieschischen Provintz and Pen-Insel Morea, snbt der jetzigen Kreigs-Handlung" also published in Nuremberg in 2 editions in 1682 & 1686.[ It is possible to identify Loschge's plates as they do not have a plate number within the engraving.]

He is also known for publishing Broadsides of significant events.

Jacob von Sandrart ( 1630 - 1708 ) was engraver, art dealer and publisher in Nuremberg.
Not In Zacharakis but description of maps Nos 2080-2101. 65 by 115mm (2½ by 4½ inches).   ref: 2721  €160

Company: Bryan, Mary Louise. Address: 6 Alikarnassou Street, 21100 Nafplion, Greece.
Vat No: EL 119092581