back to search results place the mouse over an image to zoom

George William's account of Jerusalem.

Williams, Rev. George Rev.W.f.Witts, B.A. The Holy City; or,Historical and topographical Notices of Jerusalem; with some account of its Antiquities and of its Present Condition. London & Cambridge John.W.Parker; T.Stevenson. 1845
Octavo; 2 parts in 1 volume; xvi,512p.[including appendices and index]. Modern cloth ex Library.
The first part gives the history of the city, whilst part 2 is concerned with the topography and antiquities. 11 lithograph views of the city, last large folding birdseye view at rear; additionally 3 plans:1 double page coloured of the Holy Sepulchre; woodcut vignettes as head and tail pieces to each chapter. Ex Bath Municipal Reference Library; ex libris of Library; blind stamps to title, some text pages and all but 4 of the plates.
Plate 4: Entrance to the Holy Sepulchrewith short repaired tear to blank margin; plate 5: Acra, Bezetha and the Scopus, with repair to edge.
Light scattered foxing to plates.

George Williams (1814–1878) was an English cleric, academic and antiquary. Born at Eton on 4 April 1814, Williams was son of Edward Williams, a bookseller and publisher there. He was educated on the foundation at Eton College, in the first form of the lower school in 1820, and was admitted scholar on 15 September 1829. On 14 July 1832 he was admitted to a scholarship at King's College, Cambridge, and was a fellow from 14 July 1835 to 1870. He graduated B.A. 1837, M.A. 1840, was admitted ad eundem at Oxford on 10 June 1847, and proceeded B.D. at Cambridge in 1849.
In 1837 Williams was ordained, and on 22 September 1838 he was appointed by Eton College to the perpetual curacies of Great Bricet and Wattisham, which he held until Michaelmas 1840. He was appointed by Archbishop William Howley to accompany Bishop Michael Alexander as chaplain to Jerusalem, and was there from 1841 to May 1843. He then served as chaplain at St. Petersburg (1844–5). He was left with the project bringing together the Greek and Anglican churches
Williams contributed to the Christian Remembrancer, The Ecclesiologist, and The Guardian. He brought out in 1845 The Holy City with illustrations from sketches by William Frederick Witts. A second edition included an Architectural History of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre by Robert Willis (1849, 2 vols.). For this work he received from the King of Prussia a medal for literary merit.
Williams invited Ermete Pierotti to Cambridge, assisted him in preparing his work of Jerusalem Explored for the press, and revised it during printing. Pierotti was in fact a cashiered officer of the Sardinian Army, who had moved into archaeology in the 1850s. He was accused by James Fergusson and others of plagiarism, and Williams defended him in Dr. Pierotti and his Assailants, 1864. Pierotti, however, was soon discredited as a scholar
   ref: 3085  €450

Company: Bryan, Mary Louise. Address: 6 Alikarnassou Street, 21100 Nafplion, Greece.
Vat No: EL 119092581