back to search results place the mouse over an image to zoom

Chios Town, Capital of the Island, North Aegean.

Braun & Hogenberg. Frans Hogenberg & Simon Novellanus` Chios. "Chios Maris Aegæ ieiusdem nominis Insulae Civitas.." Cologne G von Kempen 1588
Copper engraved view of Chios from the fourth volume of Braun & Hogenberg's "Civitas Orbis Terrarum." Latin text to verso; black & white as issued.
The engraving shows the port and capital of Chios, seen from the east in a bird's-eye view. The town is represented as divided into the strongly fortified Byzantine Kastro and the town itself, which is defended on the landward side by massive watchtowers with a moat and a drawbridge.
Windmills line the coast; A canon fire s out to sea from a tower on the sea wall; numerous ships and galleys.
Decorative title cartouche

The city is often locally referred to as "Chora" (Χώρα; literally meaning "town") or "Kastro" (Κάστρο) to distinguish it from the entirety of the island with which it shares the name.
Originally the site of an ancient settlement, the town was first built at the north side of a natural harbour. By the 16th century, the walled town had been further fortified by successive rulers into a massive medieval castle, the "Kastro". Good Impression; occasional spotting , one dark above windmill in upper right; crease near centrefold; Map number reversed on verso 75 rather than 57.

The "Civitas Orbis Terrarum" of Georg Braun and Frans Hogenberg was the first systemstic city atlas, possible intended to compliment the "Theatrum Orbis Terrarum "of Abraham Ortelius published in 1570.

There is strong evidence that Braun, Hogenberg and Ortelius discussed the planned work, although some scholars believe it was influenced by Sabastien Munster's "Cosmographia"
R A Skelton in his introduction to the facsimile edition [ 1965] puts the case f for the "Theatrum " of Ortelius being the model for the work ( "(it) is made abundantly clear by the similarity between the two works in title, in format and in the layout and serial order of the plates and text"
First publishe in 1572 in Cologne just two years after Ortelius' " Theatrum" it was published in six volumes in the years between 1572 and 1617.
Georg Braun [1541-1622], Canon of Cologne Cathedral wrote the preface for all but the last volume and also the text accompanying each plan or view on the verso.
The plates were engraved by Frans Hogenberg and Simon Novellanus after the original drawings of Joris Hoefnagel[1542-1600] who travelled with Ortelius through Italy and also made extensive travels through France Spain and England
Following the death of Frans Hogenberg the plates were engraved by Abraham Hogenberg, believed to be his son.
Jacob Hoefnagel continued the work of his father following his death, particularly the Austrian and Hungarian cities. Other notable contributers were Heinrich Rantzau with maps and plans of northern Europe, especially Denmark and Jacob van Deventer's plans of cities in the Netherlands. .

Braun corresponded with mapsellers and scholars throughout the world and it was his idea to include the figures of local inhabitants in the foreground of the plans and views, This was not just to add "Local colour" but believing the work could be of refence for Military use, particularly by the Turks. the insertion of images of the human form. specifically forbidden by Islam, was intended to prevent this.
Keoman vol2; B&H 4/57. 320 by 464mm (12½ by 18¼ inches).   ref: 2487  €1200

Company: Bryan, Mary Louise. Address: 6 Alikarnassou Street, 21100 Nafplion, Greece.
Vat No: EL 119092581