back to search results place the mouse over an image to zoom

Koroni, Messinia, SW Peloponnesus,

Loschge, Leonhard. Koroni. "Coron." Nürnberg/ Nuremberg. Loschge Leonhard. 1687
Extremely scarce small copper engraved view of the castle and town of Koroni, Messinia, Peloponnesus from Loschge's "Neue vermehrte Beschreibungder trflichen Halbinsel Morea mit den Angrezenten Inseln und Provinzen des Coronelli und andern Italianischen Schriften"
Modern hand colour
Koroni is a castle with impressive fortifications at the south western end of Peloponnese which existed since the 7th century AD and was completed and reconstructed by the Venetians in the 13th century. The city flourished in the following centuries, but it was constantly in the middle of the long conflict between Venetians and Turks.As many castles in Peloponnese, the city became important and flourished after the 13th century and the Frankish occupation.

Following the fall of Constantinople to the Fourth Crusade in 1204, a Venetian fleet under Premarini and the son of Dandolo occupied it in 1206, and converted the port into a provisioning station "where all passing ships could receive a month's rations", a custom maintained, we are told, when the place became a regular Venetian colony.
Since 1205 Koroni belonged to the Frankish Principality of Achaea. In 1209, the ruler of Achaea Geoffroi de Villehardouin I had no choice than to cede officially the castle-city to the Venetians.
The Venetians made a major reconstruction and expansion of the castle which finished around the end of that century.
The fortress and town were captured by the Ottoman troops of Sultan Bayezid II, who led personally the operation, in 1500.
In 1532, the Habsburg emperor Charles V ordered the Genoese admiral Andrea Doria to attack Koroni as a diversion to the Turkish campaigns in Hungary. Doria managed to capture the city, and to lay waste to the surrounding coast.
In spring 1533, the Ottoman Emperor Suleiman the Magnificent sent 60 galleys to retake the city. They blockaded the harbour, but they were defeated by Doria, highlighting the weakness of the Ottoman Navy at that time. An Ottoman land army however was successful in laying a siege around the city, forcing its surrender on 1 April 1534. The weakened Spanish garrison was allowed to leave the city unharmed
In 1685 the Venetians under general Morozini returned and stayed until 1715. But the golden age of the city was not revived. Dark impression; modern hand colour; mounted.

Leonhard Loschge; active 1675-1700 [ died 1714]

Was a German bookseller and publisher in Nuremberg. He published his "Neue vermehrte Beschreibungder trflichen Halbinsel Morea mit den Angrezenten Inseln und Provinzen des Coronelli und andern Italianischen Schriften"in 1687with numerous miniature views and maps after Coronelli ; the views are original and not just reduced versions of the Coronelli; some are copies of those that appear in Jacob von Sandrart's " Kurtze Beschreibung von Venedig auch der Grieschischen Provintz and Pen-Insel Morea, snbt der jetzigen Kreigs-Handlung" also published in Nuremberg in 2 editions in 1682 & 1686.[ It is possible to identify Loschge's plates as they do not have a plate number within the engraving.]

He is also known for publishing Broadsides of significant events.

Jacob von Sandrart ( 1630 - 1708 ) was engraver, art dealer and publisher in Nuremberg.
Not In Zacharakis but description of maps Nos 2080-2101. 60 by 115mm (2¼ by 4½ inches).   ref: 2725  €140

Company: Bryan, Mary Louise. Address: 6 Alikarnassou Street, 21100 Nafplion, Greece.
Vat No: EL 119092581