back to search results place the mouse over an image to zoom

Methoni, Messania, S.W. Peloponnesus,

Loschge, Leonhard. Methoni. "Modon" Nürnberg/ Nuremberg. Loschge Leonhard. 1687
Extremely scarce small copper engraved view of the castle and town of Methoni, Messinia, Peloponnesus from Loschge's "Neue vermehrte Beschreibungder trflichen Halbinsel Morea mit den Angrezenten Inseln und Provinzen des Coronelli und andern Italianischen Schriften"
Modern hand colour

Methoni was built by the Venetians after 1209 at a strategic location, on a rock penetrating the sea and is separated from the land by an artificial moat. The Venetians started having their eye on the harbour of Methoni since the 12th century, since 'it was in the middle of the route from Venice to the East'. Moreover, in 1125, they had launched an attack against the pirates who used it as a shelter, because they had captured Venetian traders on their way home from the East The Venetians occupied Methoni.In 1206, and their domination was established in the spring of 1209 with a treaty signed with Villehardouin, who made all the necessary consents that would guarantee him the help of Venice for the final subordination of the Peloponnese. The Venetians fortified Methoni, which developed, as well as Koroni, into an important trade center with great prosperity.
The Ottoman Turks captured the town in 1500 and despite many attempts and seiges it would not fall until the venetians retook it in 1686.
During the whole of the 16th and 17th century, even though the look of Methoni has not changed, the decline in all sectors was obvious. In June 1686 the forces of Morozini had Methoni under siege. The Turks surrendered on the 10th of July. The walls, that suffered substantial damages during the siege were repaired and new inhabitants were sent to reinforce the population of the town. However, this second period of Venetian occupation did not last for long. In 1715 the Turks launched a siege to the castle and the Venetian defenders, deserted it. During this second period of Turkish occupation, the decline was complete. As is apparent from travelers´ descriptions, the population was reduced, the battlements were in bad condition and the harbour became shallow. The most important trade conducted was that of slaves. Dark impression; modern hand colour; mounted.

Leonhard Loschge; active 1675-1700 [ died 1714]

Was a German bookseller and publisher in Nuremberg. He published his "Neue vermehrte Beschreibungder trflichen Halbinsel Morea mit den Angrezenten Inseln und Provinzen des Coronelli und andern Italianischen Schriften"in 1687with numerous miniature views and maps after Coronelli ; the views are original and not just reduced versions of the Coronelli; some are copies of those that appear in Jacob von Sandrart's " Kurtze Beschreibung von Venedig auch der Grieschischen Provintz and Pen-Insel Morea, snbt der jetzigen Kreigs-Handlung" also published in Nuremberg in 2 editions in 1682 & 1686.[ It is possible to identify Loschge's plates as they do not have a plate number within the engraving.]

He is also known for publishing Broadsides of significant events.

Jacob von Sandrart ( 1630 - 1708 ) was engraver, art dealer and publisher in Nuremberg.
Not In Zacharakis but description of maps Nos 2080-2101. 57 by 112mm (2¼ by 4½ inches).   ref: 2727  €140

Company: Bryan, Mary Louise. Address: 6 Alikarnassou Street, 21100 Nafplion, Greece.
Vat No: EL 119092581